Thursday, September 12, 2013

Favourite Club

What's your favourite club? No, I'm not talking about the bar down the street, I'm talking about your golf club. 

One of the weekly games that our Ladies' League plays, I will call it 'Take it or Leave it', only lets them play with a few clubs. The rules of the game are:

  1. Take your putter
  2. Choose 3 other clubs
  3. Leave everything else behind in your car
  4. Using only those 4 clubs, play golf
Sounds daunting right? Yes, it has its challenges, but this is what's great about it. Some ladies take the easy route and choose their 3 favourite clubs to accompany the putter. But if you wanted a challenge, you should take your 3 weakest clubs. Why? Because this way you are forced to use them and practice making them work for you. 

For example, I am terrible at using hybrids. I just can't get them to work to my advantage. So when I carry my whole set of clubs with me, I often opt for a club I'm more comfortable with. Yes, it's great to hit a nice shot, but I'm losing out on a) getting use of my hybrids and b) I never give myself the chance to learn to use them.

This way, with only 3 clubs and a putter, when you're out on the fairway and your favourite clubs are in yards away the car, you have no other choice but to learn how to make it work for you.

So next time you're out for a less-serious round, play Take it or Leave it. Choose 3 clubs and putter and play your round. What will you do? Take the easy way out, or the hard way out?


No comments:

Post a Comment