Tuesday, April 30, 2013

New Beginnings


Another season is upon us and like every spring in Canada golfers are filled with a sense of renewal and optimism. Every golfer is at a different stage in their development but we can all have the sense that this will be the year. I recently came across a video made by Arnold Palmer that hopefully will change your perspective on how you can reach your goals this summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkX6xQM_QE8

This video by the King reminded me of a question I often pose to my students. If you had the choice to choose between a perfectly repeatable swing and a random swing that can adapt to different situations. Which would you choose?

I would say that close to 80 percent of golfers would choose the repeatable swing. I mean isn’t that what were all looking for? The apparent holy grail of golf is to have that perfect swing with perfect angles that looks the same every time. Unfortunately golf doesn’t work that way. Golf is a sport where the field of play is always changing. We are never in the same place in relation to the target more then once, and we will never make the exact same golf swing twice. Personally, I want the swing that can adapt to any situation. A swing, as Arnold says is “perfect in its imperfections.” This summer I would encourage you to practice different shots instead of positions. I would encourage you to gain an intimate knowledge of your swing instead of trying to copy some pro you saw on television. Learn how to hit a draw and a fade, learn how to hit it high and low, learn a new short game shot, and learn how to putt with your imagination instead of a checklist. When you approach your game in this way you start to own your swing in only a way that YOU can. I think you just might start to enjoy it too!


Eric Frederickson
Head Teaching Professional
Bushwood Golf Club
(647) 213-3733
eric@bushwood.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment